BOUNCE YOUR TRACKS TO TAPE!
Take advantage of THE master recorder, our freshly recalibrated STUDER A 820 quarter Inch swiss army knife from 1989…aka the mother of all master recorders.
We accept any of your material like finished pre-mastered mixdowns for mastering to tape, but unlike bigger mastering studios we offer the opportunity to work with your own engineers and send us your masters, mixdowns or even stems to process with our high-end tape machine.
No “LOUDNESS WAR”… peace!
HOW IT WORKS:
listen to the examples below. select your service. add to cart. upload your tracks and paste the link. tell us your preferred saturation character. pay for the service in advance (long term customers will receive special conditions). receive your analogue processed files in 3-7 business days as a digital hi quality download.
We integrate the tape machine into the signal flow of your session with a specially-measured mastering tape (RTM SM468 for more Mojo), thus utilizing the warm, powerful, analog sound we all know and love.
HAVE A LISTEN:
The level for the tape transfer itself is adjusted by VU meters and by listening, depending on the material. There are no fixed values, but you can choose the character.
- soft (moderate saturation by -6dBfs),
- normal (just below 0dBfs, depending on the material),
- hard (audible saturation – great for drums).
WHY TAIL OUT STUDIO?
Use our services for final masters, demos, club play or mix referencing. Keep control over your mixdowns! Professional quality tape mastering, available for less than other pro studios (our machine is digitally controlled, that allows recalibration of EQ and Bias on the fly with our own developed software), very quick turnaround time (1-3 business days)
Plus we got a german engineering degree and experience in the game for 20 years.
FAQ: WHAT DOES A TAPE RECORDER DO?
Harsh, digital sounding heights are smoothed out, the depth increases thanks to saturation effects, which also improves the transparency of your mix. The bass range is compressed in a pleasant way, depending on the tape send level, without having an actual compressor in use. Bass and bass-drum blend together to create a fundament that improves the groove feel of your songs. Especially the drums get more volume through tape masters and remain in the foreground, especially in times of high sums limiting.
LET`S GET STARTED!
Mastering (No TAPE)49,90€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
Tape Mastering (<8min)59,90€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
over 8 min option9,90€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
Tape Stem Mastering (8 stems)129,00€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
DAW Coaching / Mix Consulting online per hour59,90€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
Full Tape Mixdown249,00€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
Studer Control Plugin for Ableton (Max4Live)79,90€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
Digital Restoration (<8min)Sale! excl. VAT*Add to cart
Digital Archiving PROSale! excl. VAT*Add to cart
reel-to-reel or compact cassette
Vinyl Rip (<8min)19,90€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
w/ hi-end converter & needle
Vinyl Rip (per side)39,90€ excl. VAT* Add to cart
w/ hi-end converter & needle
LOOPMASTERS LoFi-House Library (880files 1,31GB) by Jacob KornSale! excl. VAT*Add to cart
The Swiss manufacturer Studer is the non-plus ultra in the case of tape-machines, our A820 is the top of the line model and was developed specifically for the mastering application. At a price tag of 50000€ it was only used by top studios and broadcasting for instance Abbey Road, Britania Row Studios and Real World Studios, Electric Lady, Electrical Audio (Steve Albini) as well as European/US television/radio until the mid 90´s.
STUDER A820 SPECS:
- 2 tracks stereo master recorder, ¼ inch (6,35 mm).
- Master recorder on trolley with VU meter bridge.
- Tape speeds: 30 – 15 ips (76.2 – 38.1 cm/sec.).
- Inputs (transformer) Impedance > 10 kOhm (30 – 20,000 Hz)
- Outputs (transformer) Impedance < 50 Ohm (30 – 20,000 Hz), Load > 200 Ohm
- Frequency Response (+/- 2 dB) 30 ips – 40 – 22,000 Hz, 15 ips – 30 – 20,000 Hz
- Frequency Response (+/- 1 dB) 30 ips – 60 – 20,000 Hz, 15 ips – 30 – 18,000 Hz
- Signal-to-Noise NAB (RMS, A-weighted) 30 ips – 75 dB, 15 ips – 72 dB
- Cross-Talk (at 1 kHz) Stereo > 55 dB
- Wow and flutter 30 ips – 0.03% max, 15 ips – 0.04% max
- Servo-controlled tape transport.
- 3 DC Processor-Controlled High-Torque DC Spooling Motors.
- Processor-Controlled DC Capstan Motor with Low Rotor Mass.
- Processor-Controlled Pinch Roller Unit.
- Spooling motor control with pulse-width modulation.
- Equalization: CCIR – NAB switch selectable.
- Tape A and Tape B switch selectable with independent setting and memory storage.
- Tape Reel: AEG-DIN (standard), CINE (EIA) -Trident (Optional).
- Reel size: up to 14” (35,5 cm) for metal reels or plates.
- Balanced XLR input and output.
- Digital real time display for all 3 speeds; H, Min, Sec.
- Edit mode with Jog and Shuttle function Zero locator; Locator Play, Locator 1; Locator 2, Master Safe-Rec Ready button; Service menu with digitally programmable audio and tape deck setup with non–volatile memory storage; Library wind button to select a reduced spooling speed; Varispeed; Auto-Mute during FF-REW mode.
- VU Meters, with independent potentiometers for line-input and line-output.
- VU Meters monitor of input or output signal switch selectable.
- Rec-Play calibrated and uncalibrated mode, switch selectable.
- Built-in monitor speaker and headphone output (jack 6,3mm), for input or output signal.
- In Line or Butterfly heads.
- Built-in monitor speaker
- Spooling time: about 70 sec. for 760 mt. of tape.
- Weight: about 91 Kg
- Dimensions: H x W x D, 1330 (with VU meter bridge) x 700 x 660 mm.
- Power absorption: about 80 W in Stop, 130W Play-Rec, 160W FF-Rew.
- Voltage selector: from 100 to 240 Volt, 50-60 Hz.
More Info here: http://www.theaudioarchive.com/TAA_Tape_Studer_A820.htm
DIGITIZING and RESTORATION:
Recording with the best possible analog to digital chain (Studer compensated wow/flutter system and Mytec converters). Possible noise printing and spectral healing possibilities using hi end tools (SpectraLayers Pro, IzotopeRX…) .
Find us on Instagram: tailout_tapemasters
© tail out tapemasters 2018
Meet the team
Graduated engineer, tutor, live-act and electronic music artist with 20 years of experience.
State of the art analog recording queen from 1989! Adds character to all sorts of material.
DJ & producer since the mid-90s. Our specialist for restoration.